Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ice Cream with the Kumars. Hyderabad


This is Smita's family in Hyderabad. L-R Rhea, Raum, Swata,Bunno, Asha, Tanya, Smita and Bhishma. I'm the pale white guy in the background. We were at a special ice cream shop that specializes in 'natural' ice cream. My mango ice cream cone was mostly smashed up mango with a little cream mixed in and then frozen. So it's a frozen fruit cone so to speak. The difference is the mango and the bananas here are grown here so they are ripened on the vine. The mango is richer, sweeter and softer than anything I've had in the USA. Same with the bananas but to a lesser degree. Very banana(y). I had a banana milk shake made on the street yesterday. Liquid banana basically. And also for the first time I had watermelon juice made fresh from the watermelon right in front of me. I can't tell you how good it was. I thought, "Wow!"

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm - this sounds fantastic! I love our sad shipped in mangoes already - I am imagining the real thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fruit drinks and ice cream sound amazing~

    ReplyDelete
  3. J & M:
    It's a sad thing, stiff and non ripe avocados and mangos. They are fruit and fruit juice efficienados here that is for sure. It's was great to see Asha and Bhishma's family all gathered around the living room. The children made it come alive. And this morning Smita called me and woke me at the hotel, "You said you were going to call us to tell us you were safe when you arrived but you didn't call." She makes such a good mother. Dr.Mother I guess I should say. I think the family is pretty central to Indian society...but I didn't do a study just an subjective observation.

    ReplyDelete