Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ooty to Coonoor Train Ride, Eating Way Too Much

I'm in Coondoor India right now. Took the the train from Ooty.
You can't get any more closer to the Outer Limits than Coondoor or Ooty.
Hyderabad is  a world apart and a world different than the USA .
Ooty is even more different that Hyderabad.
The atmosphere is hard to put into words.
It's about smells and sounds and color.   It's certainly about living. Everyone
is doing their best living as full as possible.  Life is hard here but mostly
they work and eat and chill.  The kids!  Oh they play and laugh and sing.
They are great.  They were singing on the train today. The pace is very relaxed in Ooty.
No one seems in a hurry.   Even the beggars  give me space (and I'm giving
more in return for that space).
I keep on eating at roadside places just to
meet people and interact.  So I'm fat now.  The food is awesome did I tell you!?
They put a lot of effort and prep into cooking here in India.
It's spicier than in the USA but there are a lot of new tastes.  This morning, 
I think I ate breakfast three times and then I shared cookies and chia
with the fellows in the video.  Only one of them knew English
and that fellow just one word...Hello.  As he was getting
off the train he said to me, "Hello!"  I said, "Hello. See you later."
(The video didn't load successfully I'll try again in a larger town)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh - love the pic of the side of the train and the track! Lucky eating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I'm curious about Ooty. I love the train photo, too. The eating is essential...and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo nutritious. I forgot about that, yes. I have more photos and a video of the train ride I'll see if I can get it too load. In contrast to fruit juices, which India ranks number one in the world, the internet here ranks near the bottom. The hotel lobby computer I typing at right now has a large crank on the side and is Windows 3.0
    I suppose I should be happy it's Windows at all and not a blinking prompt and punched cards.

    ReplyDelete